Record-breaking Campaign Gives BOOM! Studios The Two
Highest Grossing Spots In Comics On Kickstarter
LOS ANGELES, CA (March 10, 2023) – The epic, immersive universe of THE EXPANSE has captured the imaginations of science fiction fans around the globe for over a decade – first in the Hugo and Dragon Award winning novel series and then in a critically acclaimed, Hugo and Saturn Award winning television series (now streaming on Amazon Prime) – instantly entering the highest echelon of genre-defining sci-fi. But there is one chapter of THE EXPANSE saga that has never been chronicled or revealed… until now!
Under the direct supervision and creative guidance of THE EXPANSE creator James S.A. Corey and Alcon Television Group, superstar writer Andy Diggle (The Losers, Green Arrow: Year One) and rising star artist Rubine (Voltron: Legendary Defender) bring you, THE EXPANSE: DRAGON TOOTH, the first new story since the stunning finale episode of THE EXPANSE Season 6 which will finally reveal the hidden history between Babylon’s Ashes (Book 6) and Persepolis Rising (Book 7),
● THE EXPANSE: DRAGON TOOTH DELUXE PRE-ORDER CAMPAIGN ended its first day of pre-orders on Kickstarter at a total of $342,214, officially becoming BOOM! Studios’ biggest Kickstarter opening day of all time, beating out the previous record held by Keanu Reeves’ BRZRKR in 2021.
● THE EXPANSE DRAGON TOOTH DELUXE PRE-ORDER CAMPAIGN ended its first week of pre-orders with a staggering $827,802, breaking Kickstarter’s record for a week one performance in the comic book project category.
● THE EXPANSE: DRAGON TOOTH DELUXE PRE-ORDER CAMPAIGN is Kickstarter’s #1 Most Funded and #1 Most Backed campaign in the Comic Books Sub Category.
● This record-breaking campaign has cemented the series as BOOM! Studios’ second biggest Kickstarter campaign of all time and the #2 Most Funded campaign for the All Comics Category behind Keanu Reeves’ BRZRKR.
● Between THE EXPANSE: DRAGON TOOTH and BRZRKR, BOOM! Studios hold the two most funded comic campaigns on any crowdfunding platform of all time. As well as the two most funded comic (subcategory) campaigns on Kickstarter thanks to THE EXPANSE: DRAGON TOOTH and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
● This is the latest in a series of successful pre-order campaigns for BOOM! Studios, including four campaigns in 2022 (Irredeemable, Giant Days, The Dark Crystal, Klaus) that each ended with totals in the six figures.
● BOOM! will continue to leverage Kickstarter as a platform for pre-orders this year, with several more unannounced campaigns to be revealed soon, including one at the end of the month!
“Every single day for the past month, you The Expanse fans, have completely blown away every expectation for this campaign,” said President of Publishing and Marketing, Filip Sablik. “Your passion, love, and overwhelming support and dedication to this world will continue to inspire the care and craftsmanship going into every aspect of The Expanse: Dragon Tooth. All of us at BOOM! Studios, our partners at Alcon and James S.A. Corey, Andy and Rubine cannot wait to get these brand new stories in your hands.”
THE EXPANSE: DRAGON TOOTH is the newest release from BOOM! Studios’ eponymous imprint, home to critically acclaimed original series, including BRZRKR by Keanu Reeves, Matt Kindt, and Ron Garney; Something is Killing the Children by James Tynion IV and Werther Dell’Edera; Once & Future by Kieron Gillen and Dan Mora; Eve by Victor LaValle and Jo Mi-Gyeong; The Many Deaths of Laila Starr by Ram V and Filipe Andrade; Wynd by James Tynion IV and Michael Dialynas; Grim by Stephanie Phillips and Flaviano; Briar by Christopher Cantwell and Germán García; Stuff of Nightmares by R.L. Stine and A.L. Kaplan; The Approach by Jeremy Haun, Jason A. Hurley, and Jesus Hervas; Damn Them All by Simon Spurrier and Charlie Adlard; Behold, Behemoth by Tate Brombal and Nick Robles; Specs by David M. Booher and Chris Shehan; Once Upon a Time at the End of the World by Jason Aaron, Alexandre Tefenkgi, Leila del Duca, and Nick Dragotta; Know Your Station by Sarah Gailey and Liana Kangas; A Vicious Circle by Mattson Tomlin and Lee Bermejo; Mosely by Rob Guillory and Sam Lotfi; Harrower by Justin Jordan and Brahm Revel; The Neighbors by Jude Ellison S. Doyle and Letizia Cadonici; and the upcoming The Seasons Have Teeth by Dan Watters and Sebastián Cabrol. The imprint also publishes popular licensed properties, including Dune: House Harkonnen from Brian Herbert, Kevin J. Anderson, and Michael Shelfer; Mighty Morphin Power Rangers from Melissa Flores and Simona Di Gianfelice; Magic from Jed McKay, Rich Douek, and Ig Guara; and The Expanse: Dragon Tooth by Andy Diggle and Rubine.